Jo's Journey through the breast cancer maze! 🤞



1/31/2002

 It has been many years since I had my first "needle biopsy" at Faulkner Hospital in Massachusetts. Since then I've had multiple needle biopsies. In 2012 since I had atypical ductal hyperplasia I was sent to a wonderful medical oncologist in Boston. He put me on a tamoxifen drug but without the side effect of blood clots. 

I was on that for five years. My five years was up after we moved to Lincoln, CA where I was lucky enough to find Dr. Lisa Nelson in Roseville. She was and is a great doctor and most importantly very proactive. I started having an MRI, Ultrasound and Mammogram yearly. There were "things" that at the time were calcifications but I was bring watched carefully. 

1/5/2002

I had my yearly MRI with contrast. That resulted in needing breast biopsies in both breasts. This right side was ultrasound guided January 12; the left side could not be done that way, so we scheduled an MRI guided ultrasound. 

On the 17th I got news that there was no cancer in my right breast. 

10:00a.m. on January 30th, Dr. Nelson called. I have breast cancer. What do I feel - not angry; not why me. I feel shocked, confused at to what to do. They caught it early but it is still cancer. My grandmother had a mastectomy but no one in the house ever EVER talked about it,

I am grateful and lucky I have a great support system and the best husband in the world. I believe what I have is Ductal Invasive Carcinoma but I'll update this when I get the pathology report. 

I got a note from Dr. Nelson after I wrote to her via the portal. I will see Dr. Baker first and then Dr. Barash as a second opinion. I feel very strongly about seeing two docs. 

Some links to helpful stuff



2/1/2022

Another day waiting to hear from the surgeon re: an appointment! It is nerve wracking. I'm trying to keep my spirits up but the honest truth is that I am scared 😨

2/1/2022

I called my med manager and told her I needed advice because I am freaking out. I'll update this if and when I hear from Melissa. 

I called Dr. Nelson's office and told the receptionist that the person at Dr. Baker's office is nasty; that this urgent referral apparently isn't; and that I wanted a referral to Dr. Barash. I found out that a third person I know sees him! 

This is what my records say

Telephone Encounter

Rosa S at 01/31/22 1611

Patient aware of Dr. Bakers information.
Referral faxed and sent through epic. Thank you.

Lisa K Nelsen, MD at 01/30/22 1018

BREAST, LEFT 9:00 MEDIAL, MRI-GUIDED NEEDLE BIOPSY: INVASIVE MAMMARY/DUCTAL
CARCINOMA, SEE NOTE.
 
Called patient. Reviewed Pathology results.
Will forward referral to the Breast Surgeon.
Advised that she call with an update on referral in 7 days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Cookie Mix in a Jar- What a great idea!!

Cancer: I'm Scared

After Surgery: What is it like