Cautiously Optimistic! Radiation or a double mastectomy

 2/9/2022

We had our first opinion doctor's appointment today. He is an older gentleman with relics of the past in the office. He went over my tests and examined me also using an ultrasound.

My tumor is small, stage 1,  but before he recommends a lumpectomy with three to six weeks of radiation, he is taking blood tomorrow to test my genetics. It seems that having a mother with melanoma, her brother dying from melanoma and being an Ashkenazi Jew, my chances are higher for the BRCA gene. If it comes back positive an absolute double mastectomy. He can do an aesthetic flat closure. If negative the above and years on meds is the protocol.

There is a small sigh of relief but waiting 11 days will be nerve wracking. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Cookie Mix in a Jar- What a great idea!!

Cancer: I'm Scared

After Surgery: What is it like