On to the next steps and yes treatment has changed!!

 4/20/2022

You have to know that no matter what "stage" or grade with which you were diagnosed, it may very well change. 

Today I saw my radiation oncologist who spent an hour with us; talked us through the protocols and told me I would now have six rather than three weeks of radiation. 

I had a simulation, which was made up of my lying down on nothing comfortable with my arms over my head and practice holding my breath for 20 seconds. I'll do that about seven times during treatment. 

The "rad onc" will check on me one time a week and I got a folder on what to expect some of which is not pleasant but at least it is stage 1 and no chemo. Although there is a spot that they are concerned about so I will have an ultrasound and maybe a biopsy. I will also meet with someone who will teach me everything I need to know about lymphedema! 

From a Bing search "A condition that results in swelling of the leg or arm. It occurs due to blockage in the lymphatic system which is part of the immune system.


  • Urgent medical attention is usually recommended by healthcare providers
  • Very common (More than 3 million cases per year in US)
  • Treatments can help manage condition, no known cure
  • Often requires lab test or imaging
  • Family history may increase likelihood"

American Cancer Society: 

Lymphedema is a build-up of lymph fluid in the fatty tissues just under your skin. This build-up might cause swelling and discomfort. It often happens in the arms or legs, but can also happen in the face, neck, trunk, abdomen (belly), or genitals.

It's important to know that lymphedema can sometimes become severe and cause serious problems, and often is a long-term or chronic condition. This is why early, and careful management is needed to help reduce symptoms and keep it from getting worse. 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Cookie Mix in a Jar- What a great idea!!

Cancer: I'm Scared

After Surgery: What is it like